Plastics and composites
Generally speaking, plastics affect daily life almost everywhere, whether in dashboards of cars, as insulation in houses, hull of boats or in bicycle helmets. Finding answers of question which refer to environmental friendliness and sustainability of products become more important. Therefore extensive expertise is needed. Decades of experience in analyzing industrial-ecological process chains in the field of plastics manufacturing, use and recycling are elemental for profound statements on these questions. The department of life cycle engineering offers special knowledge in:
- Several processes and routes for the production of chemical based material and plastics from fossil resources on the one hand and on the base of renewable resources; profound knowledge about technologies for the needed processes in order to make statements.
- The big variety of materials and high degree of crosslinking of production within the chemical and plastics industry requires a huge amount of data for an assessment of the environmental friendliness.
- For the comparison of different technologies and routes for a product and the assessment of ecological weak points it is necessary to dig deep into the configuration of the processes and to have a knowledge about the unit operations they consist of.
All these challenges are taken at the department of life cycle engineering, helping clients to identify optimisation potentials for products and processes as well as to perform comparative analysis of options.
- Environmental based analysis of energy and material flows of facilities and products
- Analyses of different scenarios (e.g. alternative resources for biomaterial)
- Identification of important environmental aspects, e.g. relevant emissions sources, in view of an efficient optimisation of the whole life cycle of plants, products and processes
- Comparison and analysis of different production routes and technologies, accompanying development
- Analysis and comparison of complete product systems or individual phases of life, (e.g. production and processing) of bio-based plastics and products made of plastics
- Different end of life options, e.g. thermal or energetic recycling.